Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Lesson 13: Jacob and Esau


  • Our values influence our choices.

    What are "values"?   -- the things or we value most or feel is most important.  What do we want the most?
Choosing:  


  • • If you had to choose between going on a picnic and being baptized, which would you choose? Which would give temporary pleasure? Which would make eternal happiness possible?
Genesis 25:22–23   
 21 And Isaac entreated the Lord for his awife, because she was bbarren: and the Lord was centreated of him, and Rebekah his wife conceived.
 22 And the children struggled together within her; and she said, If it be so, why am I thus? And she went to ainquire of the Lord.

 23 And the Lord said unto her, aTwo nations are in thy womb, and two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the belder shall serve the younger.


  1. Genesis 25:27–28   
  2. 27 And the boys grew: and Esau was a cunning ahunter, a man of the field; and Jacob was a bplain man, dwelling in ctents.
     28 And Isaac loved Esau, because he did eat of his avenison: but bRebekahloved Jacob.



    1. Genesis 25:29–34—Esau sells his birthright.
      •  29 ¶And Jacob sod pottage: and Esau came from the field, and he was faint:
         30 And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage; for I am faint: therefore was his name called aEdom.
         31 And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy abirthright.
         32 And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me?
         33 And Jacob said, Swear to me this day; and he sware unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob.
         34 Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright.

    And it came to pass, that when Isaac was old, and his eyes were adim, so that he could not see, he called Esau his eldest son, and said unto him, My son: and he said unto him, Behold, here am I.
    And he said, Behold now, I am old, I know not the day of my death:
    Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy aquiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and btake me some venison;

    And make me asavoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die.



    Genesis 27: 28 Therefore God give thee of the adew of heaven, and the fatness of the earth, and plenty of corn and wine:
     29 Let people aserve thee, and nations bow down to thee: be lord over thy brethren, and let thy mother’s sons bbow down to thee: cursed be every one that curseth thee, and cblessed be he that dblesseth thee.

     34 And when Esau heard the words of his father, he cried with a great and exceeding bitter cry, and said unto his father, Bless me, even me also, O my father.


    41 ¶And Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing wherewith his father blessed him: and Esau said in his heart, The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then will I slay my brother Jacob.
    Jacob leaves and goes to stay at the home of his mother's family -- especially his mother's brother Laban. 
    -- for two reasons 
    -- safety
    -- to find a wife
    Year's later he returns, but is afraid that Esau will still hate him. 




    Lesson 13: Jacob and Esau

    Primary 6: Old Testament, (1996), 52–55

    Purpose

    To help the children recognize how our values influence our choices.

    What are "values"?   -- the things or we value most or feel is most important.  What do we want the most?

    sleep in or get up and help someone or be on time to school
    TV program or time with family or time helping
    that we get all of something or that we share it
    watching any movie or TV show -- or being careful about what we watch
    being "popular" or
    not being made fun of or
    being like the other kids or
    cute clothes that aren't modest or following what our church leaders and parents tell us and modesty
    honesty or money
    honesty or cheating for a better grade
    wanting things or helping other people with our money or time
    time with computer games or time with people -- Brother Dyer



    Preparation

    1. 1.  Prayerfully study:
    2.  21 And Isaac entreated the Lord for his awife, because she was bbarren: and the Lord was centreated of him, and Rebekah his wife conceived.
       22 And the children struggled together within her; and she said, If it be so, why am I thus? And she went to ainquire of the Lord.
       23 And the Lord said unto her, aTwo nations are in thy womb, and two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the belder shall serve the younger.
       24 ¶And when her days to be delivered were fulfilled, behold, there were twins in her womb.
       25 And the first came out red, all over like an ahairy garment; and they called his name bEsau.
       26 And after that came his brother out, and his hand took hold on Esau’saheel; and his bname was called cJacob: and Isaac was threescore years old when she bare them.
       27 And the boys grew: and Esau was a cunning ahunter, a man of the field; and Jacob was a bplain man, dwelling in ctents.
       28 And Isaac loved Esau, because he did eat of his avenison: but bRebekahloved Jacob.
    3.  
      Genesis 25:29–34—Esau sells his birthright.
      •  29 ¶And Jacob sod pottage: and Esau came from the field, and he wasfaint:
         30 And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same redpottage; for I am faint: therefore was his name called aEdom.
         31 And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy abirthright.
         32 And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me?
         33 And Jacob said, Swear to me this day; and he sware unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob.
         34 Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright.
      •  
        Genesis 26:34–35—Esau marries out of the covenant.
      •  34 ¶And Esau was forty years old when he took to awife Judith the daughter of Beeri the Hittite, and Bashemath the daughter of Elon the Hittite:
         35 Which were a agrief of mind unto Isaac and to Rebekah.
      •  Genesis 27:1–40—Jacob receives the greater blessing.
      •  And it came to pass, that when Isaac was old, and his eyes were adim, so that he could not see, he called Esau his eldest son, and said unto him, My son: and he said unto him, Behold, here am I.
         And he said, Behold now, I am old, I know not the day of my death:
         Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy aquiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and btake me some venison;
         And make me asavoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die.
         And Rebekah heard when Isaac spake to Esau his son. And Esau went to the field to hunt for venison, and to bring it.
         ¶And aRebekah spake unto Jacob her son, saying, Behold, I heard thy father speak unto Esau thy brother, saying,
         Bring me venison, and make me savoury meat, that I may eat, and bless thee before the Lord before my death.
         Now therefore, my son, obey my voice according to that which I command thee.
         Go now to the flock, and fetch me from thence two good kids of the goats; and I will make them savoury meat for thy father, such as he loveth:
         10 And thou shalt bring it to thy father, that he may eat, and that he may bless thee before his death.
         11 And Jacob said to Rebekah his mother, Behold, Esau my brother is aahairy man, and I am a smooth man:
         12 My father peradventure will feel me, and I shall seem to him as a deceiver; and I shall bring a curse upon me, and not a blessing.
         13 And his mother said unto him, Upon me be thy curse, my son: only obey my voice, and go fetch me them.
         14 And he went, and fetched, and brought them to his mother: and his mother made savoury meat, such as his father loved.
         15 And Rebekah took goodly raiment of her eldest son Esau, which werewith her in the house, and put them upon Jacob her younger son:
         16 And she put the askins of the kids of the goats upon his hands, and upon the smooth of his neck:
         17 And she gave the savoury meat and the bread, which she had prepared, into the hand of her son Jacob.
         18 ¶And he came unto his father, and said, My father: and he said, Heream I; who art thou, my son?
         19 And Jacob said unto his father, I am Esau thy firstborn; I have done according as thou badest me: arise, I pray thee, sit and eat of my venison, that thy soul may bless me.
         20 And Isaac said unto his son, How is it that thou hast found it so quickly, my son? And he said, Because the Lord thy God brought it to me.
         21 And Isaac said unto Jacob, Come near, I pray thee, that I may feel thee, my son, whether thou be my very son Esau or not.
         22 And Jacob went near unto Isaac his father; and he felt him, and said, The voice is Jacob’s voice, but the hands are the hands of Esau.
         23 And he discerned him not, because his hands were hairy, as his brother Esau’s hands: so he blessed him.
         24 And he said, Art thou my very son Esau? And he said, I am.
         25 And he said, Bring it near to me, and I will eat of my son’s venison, that my soul may bless thee. And he brought it near to him, and he did eat: and he brought him wine, and he drank.
         26 And his father Isaac said unto him, Come near now, and kiss me, my son.
         27 And he came anear, and kissed him: and he smelled the smell of his raiment, and bblessed him, and said, See, the smell of my son is as the smell of a field which the Lord hath blessed:
         28 Therefore God give thee of the adew of heaven, and the fatness of the earth, and plenty of corn and wine:
         29 Let people aserve thee, and nations bow down to thee: be lord over thy brethren, and let thy mother’s sons bbow down to thee: cursed be every one that curseth thee, and cblessed be he that dblesseth thee.
         30 ¶And it came to pass, as soon as Isaac had made an end of blessing Jacob, and Jacob was yet scarce gone out from the presence of Isaac his father, that Esau his brother came in from his hunting.
         31 And he also had made savoury meat, and brought it unto his father, and said unto his father, Let my father arise, and eat of his son’s venison, that thy soul may bless me.
         32 And Isaac his father said unto him, Who art thou? And he said, I am thy son, thy firstborn Esau.
         33 And Isaac trembled very exceedingly, and said, Who? where is he that hath ataken venison, and brought it me, and I have eaten of all before thou camest, and have bblessed him? yea, and he shall be blessed.
         34 And when Esau heard the words of his father, he cried with a great and exceeding bitter cry, and said unto his father, Bless me, even me also, O my father.
         35 And he said, Thy brother came with subtilty, and hath taken away thy blessing.
         36 And he said, Is not he rightly named aJacob? for he hath supplanted me these two times: he took away my bbirthright; and, behold, now he hath taken away my blessing. And he said, Hast thou not reserved a blessing for me?
         37 And Isaac answered and said unto Esau, Behold, I have made him thy lord, and all his brethren have I given to him for aservants; and with corn and wine have I sustained him: and what shall I do now unto thee, my son?
         38 And Esau said unto his father, Hast thou but one blessing, my father? bless me, even me also, O my father. And Esau lifted up his voice, andawept.
         39 And Isaac his father answered and said unto him, Behold, thy dwelling shall be the fatness of the earth, and of the dew of heaven from above;
         40 And by thy sword shalt thou live, and shalt serve thy abrother; and it shall come to pass when thou shalt have the dominion, that thou shalt bbreak his cyoke from off thy neck.

      •   Genesis 27:41–46
      • 41 ¶And Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing wherewith his father blessed him: and Esau said in his heart, The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then will I slay my brother Jacob.
         42 And these words of Esau her elder son were told to Rebekah: and she sent and called Jacob her younger son, and said unto him, Behold, thy brother Esau, as touching thee, doth comfort himself, purposing to kill thee.
         43 Now therefore, my son, obey my voice; and arise, aflee thou to Laban my bbrother to cHaran;
         44 And tarry with him a few days, until thy brother’s fury turn away;
         45 Until thy brother’s aanger turn away from thee, and he forget that which thou hast done to him: then I will send, and fetch thee from thence: why should I be deprived also of you both in one day?
         46 And Rebekah said to Isaac, I am weary of my life because of theadaughters of Heth: if Jacob take a wife of the daughters of Heth, such as these which are of the daughters of the land, what good shall my life do me?
    4. 28:1–5—Jacob leaves home and seeks a wife in the covenant.

    5.  And Isaac called Jacob, and blessed him, and charged him, and said unto him, Thou shalt not take a awife of the daughters of bCanaan.
       Arise, go to aPadan-aram, to the house of bBethuel thy mother’s father; and take thee a wife from thence of the daughters of cLaban thy mother’s brother.
       And God aAlmighty bbless thee, and make thee cfruitful, and multiply thee, that thou mayest be a dmultitude of people;
       And give thee the blessing of Abraham, to thee, and to thy aseed with thee; that thou mayest inherit the land wherein thou art a stranger, which God gave unto Abraham.
       And Isaac sent away Jacob: and he went to Padan-aram unto Laban, son of Bethuel the aSyrian, the brother of Rebekah, Jacob’s and Esau’s mother.
      •  Genesis 31:3
      •  And the Lord said unto Jacob, aReturn unto the land of thy fathers, and to thy kindred; and bI will be with thee.
      • 32:3–20—Jacob returns and prepares to meet Esau.
      •  And Jacob sent messengers before him to Esau his brother unto the land of aSeir, the country of bEdom.
         And he commanded them, saying, Thus shall ye speak unto my lord Esau; Thy servant Jacob saith thus, I have sojourned with Laban, and stayed there until now:
         And I have oxen, and asses, flocks, and menservants, and womenservants: and I have sent to tell my lord, that I may find grace in thy sight.
         ¶And the messengers returned to Jacob, saying, We came to thy brother Esau, and also he cometh to meet thee, and four hundred men with him.
         Then Jacob was greatly afraid and adistressed: and he divided the people that was with him, and the flocks, and herds, and the camels, into two bands;
         And said, If Esau come to the one company, and smite it, then the other company which is left shall escape.
         ¶And Jacob said, O aGod of my father Abraham, and God of my father Isaac, the Lord which saidst unto me, bReturn unto thy country, and to thy kindred, and I will deal well with thee:
         10 aI am not worthy of the least of all the bmercies, and of all the truth, which thou hast shewed unto thy servant; for with my staff I passed over this Jordan; and now I am become two bands.
         11 aDeliver me, I pray thee, from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau: for I fear him, lest he will come and smite me, and the mother with the children.
         12 And thou saidst, I will surely do thee good, and make thy aseed as the bsand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.
         13 ¶And he lodged there that same night; and took of that which came to his hand a present for Esau his brother;
         14 Two hundred she goats, and twenty he goats, two hundred ewes, and twenty rams,
         15 Thirty milch camels with their colts, forty kine, and ten bulls, twenty she asses, and ten foals.
         16 And he delivered them into the hand of his servants, every drove by themselves; and said unto his servants, Pass over before me, and put a space betwixt drove and drove.
         17 And he commanded the foremost, saying, When Esau my brother meeteth thee, and asketh thee, saying, Whose art thou? and whither goest thou? and whose are these before thee?
         18 Then thou shalt say, They be thy servant Jacob’s; it is a present sent unto my lord Esau: and, behold, also he is behind us.
         19 And so commanded he the second, and the third, and all that followed the droves, saying, On this manner shall ye speak unto Esau, when ye find him.
         20 And say ye moreover, Behold, thy servant Jacob is behind us. For he said, I will appease him with the present that goeth before me, and afterward I will see his face; peradventure he will accept of me
      •  Genesis 33:1–16—Jacob and Esau are reunited.
      •  And Jacob lifted up his eyes, and looked, and, behold, Esau came, and with him four hundred men. And he divided the children unto Leah, and unto Rachel, and unto the two handmaids.
         And he put the handmaids and their children foremost, and Leah and her children after, and Rachel and Joseph hindermost.
         And he passed over before them, and abowed himself to the ground seven times, until he came near to his brother.
         And Esau ran to meet him, and embraced him, and fell on his neck, and kissed him: and they wept.
         And he lifted up his eyes, and saw the women and the children; and said, Who are those with thee? And he said, The children which God hath graciously given thy servant.
         Then the handmaidens came near, they and their children, and they bowed themselves.
         And Leah also with her children came near, and bowed themselves: and after came Joseph near and Rachel, and they bowed themselves.
         And he said, What meanest thou by all this drove which I met? And he said,These are to find grace in the sight of my lord.
         And Esau said, I have enough, my brother; keep that thou hast unto thyself.
         10 And Jacob said, Nay, I pray thee, if now I have found grace in thy sight, then receive my present at my hand: for therefore I have seen thy face, as though I had seen the face of God, and thou wast pleased with me.
         11 Take, I pray thee, my blessing that is brought to thee; because God hath dealt graciously with me, and because I have enough. And he urged him, and he took it.
         12 And he said, Let us take our journey, and let us go, and I will go before thee.
         13 And he said unto him, My lord knoweth that the children are tender, and the flocks and herds with young are with me: and if men should overdrive them one day, all the flock will die.
         14 Let my lord, I pray thee, pass over before his servant: and I will lead on softly, according as the cattle that goeth before me and the children be able to endure, until I come unto my lord unto Seir.
         15 And Esau said, Let me now leave with thee some of the folk that are with me. And he said, What needeth it? let me find grace in the sight of my lord.
         16 ¶So Esau returned that day on his way unto Seir.
      •  Genesis 35:9–12—Jacob is blessed.
      •  ¶And God appeared unto Jacob again, when he came out of Padan-aram, and blessed him.
         10 And God said unto him, Thy name is Jacob: thy name shall not be called any more Jacob, but aIsrael shall be thy name: and he called his name Israel.
         11 And God said unto him, I am aGod Almighty: be bfruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of cnations shall be of thee, and dkings shall come out of thy loins;
         12 And the aland which I gave Abraham and Isaac, to thee I will give it, and to thy seed after thee will I give the land.
    6. 2. 
      Study the lesson and decide how you want to teach the children the scripture accounts (see “Preparing Your Lessons,”p. vi, and “Teaching from the Scriptures,” p. vii). Select the discussion questions and enrichment activities that will best help the children achieve the purpose of the lesson.
    7. 3. Materials needed:
      1. a. Bible for each child.
      2. b. The following wordstrips:
        Temporary
        Eternal
      3. c.  Several items, pictures of items, or wordstrips to represent things of lasting worth—such as scriptures, temple marriage, eternal life, good health, a happy home, and so on—and things of temporary worth—such as a ball game, money, entertainment, having your own way, a toy, or candy.

    Suggested Lesson Development

    Invite a child to give the opening prayer.

    Attention Activity   [or candy choice? - now or later?]

    Display the wordstrips you have prepared (or write Temporary and Eternal on the chalkboard). Discuss as a class what each word means. (Temporary: lasting only a short while, not permanent. Eternal: something that will last forever.) Show the objects, pictures, or wordstrips that represent things of temporary and eternal value. Have the children decide which wordstrip each item belongs under. Briefly discuss each item and why it gives either lasting satisfaction or temporary pleasure.
    • • If you had to choose between going on a picnic and being baptized, which would you choose? Which would give temporary pleasure? Which would make eternal happiness possible?
    Explain that some choices we make have either immediate or eternal results. The choices we make show what our values are, or what is most important to us.
    Tell the children that in this lesson they will learn about the values of two brothers and how their choices affected their lives.

    Scripture Accounts

    Teach the children the accounts of Jacob and Esau from the scriptures listed in the “Preparation” section. (For suggested ways to teach the scripture accounts, see “Teaching from the Scriptures,”p. vii.) Point out that Esau and Jacob were the twin sons of Isaac and Rebekah, whom the children learned about in the last lesson.

    Discussion and Application Questions

    Study the following questions and the scripture references as you prepare your lesson. Use the questions you feel will best help the children understand the scriptures and apply the principles in their lives. Reading and discussing the scriptures with the children in class will help them gain personal insights.

    Jacob and Esau Are Born; Jacob Obtains the Birthright

    • • What did Rebekah learn through prayer about her unborn sons? (Genesis 25:22–23.) Which of the twin boys was born first? (Genesis 25:25.) Who was to rule over the other? (Genesis 25:23.) Explain that in those days the oldest son usually received the birthright, which meant that when his father died he inherited a larger portion of his father’s possessions and became the next patriarch, or head, of the family.
    • • Why did Esau give up his birthright? (Genesis 25:30–32.) Which of the two choices had temporary value? Which choice had eternal value? Explain that Esau was hungry, but his life was not in danger. He placed more value on satisfying his hunger than on the blessings and covenants of his birthright. In what ways do we sometimes choose things of temporary value instead of things of eternal value?
    • • What other choices did Esau make that showed he was not concerned with eternal values? (Genesis 26:34–35.) Why were his parents upset over whom he married? Explain that Esau’s wives did not believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ or follow God’s teachings and commandments. Why is it important to marry someone who believes the gospel of Jesus Christ?
    • • Why was it important for Jacob to receive Isaac’s first blessing? (The Lord knew that Jacob would be worthy of the birthright blessing from the beginning and had revealed this to Rebekah before the twins were born. [See Genesis 25:23.]) Explain that when Isaac became aware that he had blessed Jacob instead of Esau, he could have revoked the blessing, but he did not. Isaac recognized that the blessing was right when he stated, “And he shall be blessed” (Genesis 27:33). (See enrichment activity 5.)
    • • How did Esau feel when he realized Jacob had been given the birthright blessing? (Genesis 27:41.)

    Jacob Marries in the Covenant (Note: The story of Jacob and his wives will be covered in next week’s lesson.)

    • • Why did Isaac send Jacob to choose a wife from among the daughters of Laban? (Genesis 28:1, 3–4.) Explain that Laban was Rebekah’s brother. If Jacob married one of Laban’s faithful daughters, he would marry in the covenant.

    Jacob and Esau Forgive One Another and Are Reconciled

    • • More than twenty years after Jacob went to Padan-aram to marry, he returned to the land of Canaan. Why was he concerned about meeting Esau on his return? (Genesis 32:6–7, 11.) What did Jacob do when he saw Esau? (Genesis 33:3.) What did Esau do? (Genesis 33:4.) What did Esau say when Jacob tried to give him gifts? (Genesis 33:8–11.) How do you think Esau’s feelings about Jacob had changed?
    • • Even though Jacob had the birthright, what did he want to do for Esau? (He wanted to share what he had with Esau.) What were some of Jacob’s values? Point out that each brother had to forgive the other. (See enrichment activity 4.) What do we value most when we are willing to forgive?

    Jacob’s Name Is Changed to Israel

    • • When God changed Jacob’s name to Israel, what did he promise Jacob? (Genesis 35:11–12.) 
    •  10 And God said unto him, Thy name is Jacob: thy name shall not be called any more Jacob, but aIsrael shall be thy name: and he called his name Israel.
       11 And God said unto him, I am aGod Almighty: be bfruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of cnations shall be of thee, and dkings shall come out of thy loins;
       12 And the aland which I gave Abraham and Isaac, to thee I will give it, and to thy seed after thee will I give the land.
    • Who else received these promises? (See lesson 9.) Explain that the blessings of the Abrahamic covenant go from Abraham to Isaac, then to Jacob and his children. Through the Prophet Joseph Smith these blessings were restored and are available to members of the Church through temple ordinances.

    Enrichment Activities

    You may use one or more of the following activities any time during the lesson or as a review, summary, or challenge.
    1. 1.  Have the children tell about good experiences they have had with their own brothers and sisters. Remind the children that because families can be together forever, they should love and help their brothers and sisters.
      Share the following quotation with the children:
      “Your most important friendships should be with your own brothers and sisters and with your father and mother. Love your family. Be loyal to them. Have a genuine concern for your brothers and sisters. Help carry their load” (Ezra Taft Benson, in Conference Report, Apr. 1986, p. 56; or Ensign, May 1986, p. 43).

    2. 2.  Have the children discuss family situations such as the following (adapt these if needed and add others to suit the needs of your class):
      •   Your younger sister wants you to play with her instead of going to your friend’s house.
      •   Your older brother is preparing dinner and asks you to help even though it is not your turn.
      •   Your brother is studying for a test in school. You are watching a television program that is distracting him from his studies.
      (We could make a game of moving toward the temporary or toward the eternal.)  Steps  -- Word Strips with the above and below situations.  
      How many solutions can you think of for these situations? Which solutions would bring temporary pleasure? Which solutions would bring eternal happiness? Encourage the children to be forgiving and understanding at home.
    3. 3.  Read the following list to the children. Have them point their thumbs up for choices that represent eternal values and down for choices that do not (adapt this list according to the needs of your class):
      • Going to a movie on the Sabbath
      • Saying a prayer at mealtime
      • Cheating on a test
      • Reading the scriptures each day
      • Befriending a student at school who does not have many friends
      • Complaining when your parents call you to Family Home Evening
      • Cleaning up after yourself
      • Doing your chores cheerfully
      • Smoking
      • Listening reverently in Primary
    4. 4.  Have a child put a large coin or cardboard circle up to one eye, close the other one, and then slowly move the object away from the eye that is open. Have the child tell what he or she could see with the coin up close and how much more there is to see when the coin is moved away.
      Explain that the coin could represent an immediate desire, such as hunger, that blinds us to other things around us. Like Esau, sometimes we experience failure or unhappiness because we trade what we want most for what we want at the moment.
      Present several situations such as the following for the children to discuss:
      •  You are tempted to miss church to watch a sports event or go hunting.
      •  You are tempted to buy a toy rather than pay your tithing.
      Explain that temptations, like the coin, keep us from seeing the entire picture. Encourage the children not to be blinded by such temptations.
    5. 5. See the entry in the LDS Bible Dictionary “Abraham, Covenant of” (p. 602). Review the blessings the Lord gave to Abraham that were recorded in Genesis 28:4, 13–15. Explain that Esau gave up these blessings when he married outside the covenant. Emphasize the importance of being married in the temple, and explain that the blessings promised to Abraham and his posterity will come to all who accept and live the gospel of Jesus Christ.
    6. 6.  Review the story of Jacob and Esau with the children by having different class members tell one portion of the story. Encourage the children to share this story with their families and discuss why Esau gave up his birthright.
    7. 7.  Sing or read the words to “Help Me, Dear Father” (Children’s Songbook, p. 99).

    Conclusion

    Testimony

    You may want to bear your testimony of the importance of having eternal values. Remind the children that they can choose that which has eternal worth. Encourage them to think about the choices they make and pray for guidance to choose wisely.

    Suggested Family Sharing

    Encourage the children to share with their families a specific part of the lesson, such as a story, question, or activity, or to read with their families the “Suggested Home Reading.”

    Suggested Home Reading

    Suggest that the children study Genesis 33:1–15 at home as a review of this lesson.
    Invite a child to give the closing prayer.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment