Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Job

Purpose:  We will have faith and remain strong through trials.












Questions:
1. What kind of a man was Job? (Job 1:1.)




 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.

just:  morally right and fair
perfect:  in this life it means doing the best one can to do what the Lord wants us to do


  • es·chew
    əsˈCHo͞o/
    verb
    past tense: eschewed; past participle: eschewed
    1. deliberately avoid using; abstain from.

      • synonyms: abstain from, refrain from, give up, forgo, shun, renounce,steer clear of, have nothing to do with, fight shy of; 
        "he appealed to the crowd to eschew violence"

  • 2. How many sons and daughters did he have? (Job 1:2.)
  •  And there were born unto him seven sons and three daughters.

3.  What wealth did he have?
  

3. What did Satan think would happen if Job lost his wealth and family? (Job 1:11.)
  (Satan is speaking to God.) 
 11 But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.


4. What happened to Job’s children and his wealth? (Job 1:13–19.) 
13 ¶And there was a day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother’s house:
4a.   14 And there came a messenger unto Job, and said, The oxen were plowing, and the asses feeding beside them:
 15 And the Sabeans fell upon them, and took them away; yea, they have slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.
___________________________
4b.  16 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The fire of God is fallen from heaven, and hath burned up the sheep, and the servants, and consumed them; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.
____________________________
4c.  17 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said,The Chaldeans made out three bands, and fell upon the camels, and have carried them away, yea, and slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.
_________________________________
4d.  18 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said,Thy sons and thy daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother’s house:
 19 And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.
__________________________________________


5.  How did Job respond to these losses? (Job 1:21–22.) 
21 And said, Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lordgave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.
 22 In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.
     “Nor charged God foolishly” means he didn't blame God for trials.
6. Why shouldn't we blame God or be angry with God?
Baby birds, when they are about to hatch, peck at the shell to free themselves.  If we broke the shell away because we felt sorry for the bird the bird might die. Through pecking at the shell, birds build up enough strength so when they are free of the shell they will be strong enough to live. Our trials can make us strong so that we can return to live with Heavenly Father.  

7. What did Satan think would happen if Job had to suffer physically? (Job 2:5.) 
 2:But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face.

8. What physical suffering did the Lord allow Satan to test Job with? (Job 2:7.)

2: ¶So went Satan forth from the presence of the Lord, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown.

9. How did Job’s friends, family, and servants respond when Job suffered his trials? (Job 19:13–19.)

9a. Friends:  
13 He hath put my brethren far from me, and mine acquaintance are verily estranged from me.
9b. Family: 
 14 My kinsfolk have failed, and my familiar friends have forgotten me.
9c. Servants: 
 15 They that dwell in mine house, and my maids, count me for a stranger: I am an alien in their sight.
 16 I called my servant, and he gave me no answer; I entreated him with my mouth.
9d. His wife: 
 17 My breath is strange to my wife, though I entreated for the children’s sake of mine own body.
9e. Children in the community:
 18 Yea, young children despised me; I arose, and they spake against me.
9f. His best friends: 
 19 All my inward friends abhorred me: and they whom I loved are turned against me.


10.  How should we respond when we see others suffering? 


11. Whom did Job continue to testify of, even after suffering so much physically and mentally? (Job 19:25–27.) 

 25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
 26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
 27 Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

12. What sins of Job’s did his friends think were responsible for his great suffering?
 (Job 22:5–9.) 

 Is not thy wickedness great? and thine iniquities infinite?
 For thou hast taken a pledge from thy brother for nought, and stripped the naked of their clothing.
 Thou hast not given water to the weary to drink, and thou hast withholden bread from the hungry.
 But as for the mighty man, he had the earth; and the honourable man dwelt in it.
 Thou hast sent widows away empty, and the arms of the fatherless have been broken.
Sometimes suffering can be brought about by our own sins, but in many cases, as with Job, it is not. Why do trials fall upon the righteous as well as the wicked? 

13. What did Job resolve to do no matter what happened to him? (Job 27:4–5.) 

 My lips shall not speak wickedness, nor my tongue utter deceit.
 God forbid that I should justify you: till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me.

14. How did the Lord respond to Job’s friends after they accused him of wickedness? (Job 42:7–9.) 
 ¶And it was so, that after the Lord had spoken these words unto Job, the Lord said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath.
 Therefore take unto you now seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you: for him will I accept: lest I deal with you after your folly, in that ye have not spoken of me the thing which is right, like my servant Job.
 So Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite went, and did according as the Lord commanded them: the Lord also accepted Job.
15. How did the Lord bless Job after he remained faithful through his trials? (Job 42:10–17.)
10 And the Lord turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before.
 11 Then came there unto him all his brethren, and all his sisters, and all they that had been of his acquaintance before, and did eat bread with him in his house: and they bemoaned him, and comforted him over all the evil that the Lord had brought upon him: every man also gave him a piece of money, and every one an earring of gold.
 12 So the Lord blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning: for he had fourteen thousand sheep, and six thousand camels, and a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand she asses.
 13 He had also seven sons and three daughters.
 14 And he called the name of the first, Jemima; and the name of the second, Kezia; and the name of the third, Keren-happuch.
 15 And in all the land were no women found so fair as the daughters of Job: and their father gave them inheritance among their brethren.
 16 After this lived Job an hundred and forty years, and saw his sons, and his sons’ sons, even four generations.
 17 So Job died, being old and full of days.


What Job ended up with:  
14,000 sheep
6,000 camels
1,000 oxen
1,000 female donkeys
7 sons & 3 daughters
There were not any women more beautiful in the land than Job’s daughters.
Job lived 140 years after that.



16.  How might the Lord bless us if we remain faithful through our trials?  How can your trials be a blessing to you?

Game:  20 Questions with a twist :  The child at the front responds with a stare if the answer is “yes” or a blink of the eyes if it is “no.” 

Story:  
A young girl named Heather Erickson had such a severe disease that she had very little control of her body. The only way she could communicate was by her family asking her questions. If the answer was “yes,” she would look directly at the speaker, and if the answer was “no,” she would blink. Heather and her family became very good at communicating this way. Heather’s special love for Jesus, in spite of her physical handicaps, was often expressed in her communications. One day her speech therapist asked Heather what her favorite song was. Heather became excited and was anxious for her therapist to know what song it was that she loved most. After three days of searching and asking questions, the song was finally identified. It was “There Is Sunshine in My Soul Today” (Hymns, no. 227).
The last two lines, “And Jesus listening can hear / The songs I cannot sing,” was Heather’s favorite part. Her therapist asked, “Heather, is that it? Is that what you like about the song? Is it what you want me to know? That Jesus is listening and He can hear the songs you cannot sing?” Heather lifted her head and looked her therapist straight in the eyes with excitement and yet almost relief evident on her face. The testimony had been borne. (Adapted from Bruce and Joyce Erickson, When Life Doesn’t Seem Fair [1995], pp. 49–55.)

No comments:

Post a Comment